- B.A. Modern Letters, Université Stendhal Grenoble, 1991
- M.A. French, The Ohio State University, 1993
- Ph.D. French, The Ohio State University, 1998
- 19th-century French narratives
- Gastronomic discourse
- Representations of masculinity, gender, and sexualities
- Queer landscapes
- Vegetarianism & food politics
- David Morton and Leanne Freas Trout Professor
Same-sex Politics in French and Francophone Literatures. In The Cambridge History of Gay and Lesbian Literature. Mikko Tuhkanen and E. L. McCallum (eds.). Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Fifs et Mangeurs de Graines: L'Art de Cuisiner les Genres. Contemporary French Civilization. Liverpool University Press. Volume 37, Nos. 2-3, Fall 2012.
Securing G-AAA-stronomy in France. Gastronomica, the Journal of Food and Culture. University of California Press. Volume 12, No. 3, Fall 2012.
Engendering the Gastronome. In Masculinity, Senses, Spirit. Edited by Katherine M. Faull. Bucknell University Press, 2011.
Beyond Terroirs. Contemporary French & Francophone Studies: Sites. Volume 14, No. 2, Spring 2010. Co-edited with John Westbrook.