The major in theatre offers opportunities in all phases of theatre arts and consists of a minimum of ten credits.
Required of all majors:
- Dramatic Literature and Criticism (choose one): THEA 258 Modernism in Performance, THEA 261 Inner Journey: Sam Shepard and American Theatre, CLAS 222 Greek Tragedy, CLAS 223 Ancient Laughter, ENGL 217 Studies in Dramatic Literature, ENGL 257 Shakespeare, RUSS 211 Chekhov: Drama in Prose
- History and Theory (two): THEA 256 Rituals, Festivals, Institutions and THEA 260 Theatre and Revolution
- Engineering / Technology (choose one): THEA 145 Bucknell Backstage, THEA 245 Entertainment Technology
- Electives (choose four – one must be design): THEA 245 Entertainment Technology, THEA 246 Scene Design, THEA 248 Theatrical Lighting Design, THEA 249 Mask and Makeup Design, THEA 250 Costume and Fashion, THEA 251 Costume Design, THEA 252 Sound Design, THEA 254 Computer Aided Design for the Stage, THEA 255 The Art of Costume Craft, THEA 110 Acting I, THEA 220 Acting II, THEA 230 Acting Styles, THEA 240 Directing, or THEA 249 Mask and Makeup Design, THEA 101 Technical Theatre Practicum (.25cr x4), THEA 102 Theatrical Rehearsal and Performance (.25cr x4)
- 300-level Seminars and Projects (choose two, one of which must be taken in the juior year): THEA 314 Seminar in Contemporary Scenography, THEA 319 Individual Projects, THEA 342 Devising Performance, THEA 347 Visual Style, THEA 390 Applied and Interactive Theatre, THEA 393 Seminar in Avant-Garde Performance, THEA 397 Seminar in Special Topics
Students pursuing a concentration in acting, directing, design, or dramaturgy/playwriting will be advised to select additional courses in related areas (dance, art, music, philosophy, etc.) as electives in addition to the advanced performance, design, or theory courses. A suggested guideline for each concentration is available from your adviser. Faculty advisers will carefully develop a course of study with students to meet their individual needs and educational goals. Students majoring in theatre are expected to participate in the work of the department of theatre and dance production program. Students may register for one quarter credit in THEA 101, THEA 102, or THEA 103 for active participation in designated areas of technology or performance. A maximum of one-half credit is permitted per semester and there is a limit of two full course credits in all. Faculty will supervise student participation, provide instruction, and approve the awarding of credit.
The minor in theatre is for liberal arts students who wish to broaden their experience with the theatre arts.
Three minors are offered by the department:
- The Acting and Directing minor requires a minimum of five and one-half credits including THEA 256 or THEA 260, three electives in performance (one of which may be THEA 240 or THEA 249), one 300-level theatre course, one section of THEA 101 (quarter credit), and one section of either THEA 101 or THEA 102 (quarter credit).
- The Design and Technology minor requires a minimum of five and one-half credits including THEA 256 or THEA 260, three electives in design and technology (one of which may be THEA 250), one 300-level theatre course, and two sections of THEA 101 (quarter credit).
- The general Theatre minor requires a minimum of five and one-half credits, including THEA 256 or THEA 260, one performance course, one design or technology course, one 200-level elective, one 300-level theatre course, one section of THEA 101 (quarter credit), and one section of either THEA 101 or THEA 102 (quarter credit).