Medical Insurance Coverage

Bucknell University requires that all full-time undergraduates, whether on campus or on a university-approved off-campus study program, have medical insurance. 

If your student has Bucknell University coverage:

Please read the policy brochure for information on coverage, exclusions, and claims procedures. Please note that the Bucknell University plan for the 2012-13 academic year only provides coverage from August 1, 2013 to August 1, 2014.  Please direct all questions regarding clam processing for the Bucknell plan to GM Southwest at 1-855-837-3900.

If your student is covered under a different plan:

Not all personal insurance plans or HMO's will cover students while abroad.  If you have not done so already, now is the time to determine whether your present medical insurance will cover your student while abroad.  Please check your policy for information on coverage, exclusions, and claims procedures.  If you find the coverage does not extend outside the United States, you must obtain additional insurance that will provide the appropriate coverage. 

Information for all parents and students regardless of plan:

If your student requires medical treatment while abroad, contact your insurance provider as soon as possible for the steps you will need to process a claim.  Please be sure to prepare by taking claim forms with you should it be necessary to file a claim while abroad.  It is essential that your student retains all treatment records and receipts for submission to the insurance provider for reimbursement.  Please be aware that hospitals and doctors in many countries require patients to pay for services at the time of treatment and, in many cases, do not accept credit cards as payment.

Accident Insurance Coverage

Please check your individual insurance policy to determine the nature of its coverage for accidents.  Many of the programs Bucknell University students attend automatically provide participants with basic accident insurance. Bucknell University policy requires all students on study abroad to purchase an International Student Identity Card (ISIC) as it provides additional coverage for accidents, evacuation and repatriation.  Students are personally responsible for obtaining ISIC cards. ISIC cards can be purchased online at ( Some programs provide ISIC cards to students. Please check with your provider.

All students are provided ISIC Card information during their pre-departure orientation session.

Personal Property Insurance

Inquire if your current homeowners' insurance policy will cover your student's personal property while they are abroad.  Be sure to ask whether this coverage extends to jewelry, laptops, and other items they plan to take with them.  If not, you should consider purchasing such a policy to cover their personal belongings.


Places I've Been

The following links are virtual breadcrumbs marking the 27 most recent pages you have visited in If you want to remember a specific page forever click the pin in the top right corner and we will be sure not to replace it. Close this message.