- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Bucknell University, 2005
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2007
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2011
- Vehicle dynamics and control
- Control system design and implementation
- Product design
- Mechatronics and robotics
- Modeling of dynamic and nonlinear systems
- System Dynamics (MECH 405)
- Robotics (MECH 453)
- Mechanical Design (MECH 392)
- Graphics (MECH 202)
- Senior Design (MECH 401/402)
- Vehicle Dynamics and Control (MECH 454)
- Jane W. Griffith Faculty Fellow
Luke Giugliano and Craig E. Beal, "Dynamic Rear-End Collision Mitigation for a Vehicle About to be Struck," Proceedings of the 2015 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Columbus, Ohio, September, 2015.
Hang Yang and Derek McBlane and Christina Boyd and Craig E. Beal and Sean Brennan, "Vehicle Road Departure Detection Using Anomalies in Dynamics," Proceedings of the 2015 American Controls Conference, Boston, July, 2015.
Craig E. Beal and J. Christian Gerdes, "Model Predictive Control for Vehicle Stabilization at the Limits of Handling," IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology 21(4), pp.1258-1269 (2013).
Craig E. Beal and J. Christian Gerdes, "A Method for Incorporating Nonlinear Tire Behavior into Linear Model Predictive Control for Vehicle Stability," Proceedings of the 2010 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Boston, September, 2010.
Craig E. Beal and J. Christian Gerdes, "Predictive Control of Vehicle Roll Dynamics with Rear Wheel Steering," In Proceedings of the 2010 American Control Conference, Baltimore, June-July, 2010.